10. With cycling transitioning into its silly season, some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to find out if plucky Thomas Voeckler could out-sprint a trotting horse.
9. This week saw its fair share of wonder goals– I’m looking at you, Shamrock Rovers’ Pat Sullivan–but none were quite as improbable as that scored by Preston goalkeeper Iain Turner during his side’s 2-0 victory over Notts County at the weekend.
8. From wonder goals to wonder misses: oh no you didn’t, Israel Khan!
7. After failing to qualify for the shot put at the Athletics World Championships, 17-year-old Sogelau Tuvalu, a native of tiny American Samoa, decided to race in the qualifying rounds of the 100m. Bravery? Stupidity? Hilarity.
6. With the mob from Eastlands punching well above their seeded weight in this year’s Champion’s League draw, no one was looking forward to being drawn against Manchester City, not least Bayern Munich’s Franck Ribéry.
5. Who doesn’t love a good brawl? The National Rugby League, evidently. The group’s disciplinary body has charged ten players over their participation in this bench-clearer during last week’s clash between Melbourne and (the appropriately named) Manly.
4. Cuba’s Dayron Robles was denied his gold medal in the 110m hurdles at the Athletics World Championships after he was deemed to have interfered (not that way) with fellow competitor and arch rival Liu Xiang in the closing stages of the race. A dastardly attempt at sabotage or an innocent touching of hands: you decide.
3. It’s not quite a low of Venky’s proportions, but the San Diego Chargers’ wine launch is more than deserving of a place in the Score’s YouTube Top 10 Hall of Corporate Shame (there is such a place; it’s hidden in a ghost estate on the outskirts of Athlone). “From your raging fan in the stands to somebody who really enjoys a nice Cab on the weekends, this wine really covers it all.” *shudder*
2. Ortis Deley’s career-immolating performance in front of the Channel 4 cameras may have stolen the headlines this week and delivered a handful of quotable gems (“We’ve seen some action this morning aswell. Jessica Ennis. Good night.”), but he’s still no Brian “Boom Goes the Dynamite” Collins.
1. Joe Hart on the signing of Owen Hargreaves: “Wowzers! Where’s that come from?” Quite.