10. Last week’s Rugby World Cup semi-final offered irrefutable proof of Richie McCaw’s return to form. It may not have counted, but: witness the majesty of the upside-down turnover!
9. When your country is buckling under the weight of a prolonged and brutal drug war, celebrating a goal with the mock execution of a teammate could be considered an act of questionable taste. (“GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!”)
8. The International Rules Series: a glorious transcontinental showcase of athletic talent or a contrived, unwatchable slapfest? Hm…
7. A maker of super-slick, highly choreographed videos recording his wingsuiting exploits, Jeb Corliss has become the public face of the sport in recent months…
6. … and this unfortunate guy is no Jeb Corliss. People are crediting his wingsuit with saving his life, but isn’t it also the reason he fell 285 metres in the first place? (Viewer discretion advised; and if you want to avoid laughing involuntarily, mute the commentary.)
5. Think you know a forward pass when you see one? The issue mightn’t be quite as straightforward as you think.
4. This week’s pick from the archives comes courtesy of New Mexico University’s Elizabeth Lambert, the hardest centre-back ever to swing a punch in the US collegiate system. She will be missed.
3. What better way to get in the mood for Sunday’s World Cup showdown than by reliving the tournament’s first final, when Les Bleus met the immovable force that was the 1987 All Blacks?
2. Finally. Emile “The Powerhouse” Heskey has the tribute he deserves.
1. This is as succinct an analysis of Rory McIlroy’s 2011 US Open victory as you’re likely to find. Definitely not crazy. At all.