PAUL O’CONNELL WOULD love nothing more than to strike the fear of God into England this weekend — but he’s injured and so he’s doing radio interviews instead.
The Munster and Ireland legend popped into Today FM this morning to chat to Ray D’Arcy and show his support for the Shave or Dye campaign in aid of the Irish Cancer Society.
Here are 10 things we learned about Paulie:
1. He doesn’t wear the Dr Dre Beats headphones that Jamie Heaslip bought for the Ireland squad.
He got me a pair. I didn’t wear them, I just feel I’d look ridiculous. I still have the white iPhone ones.
2. His favourite song at the moment is Tears for Fears, ‘Everybody wants to Rule the World’.
I’d listen to whatever the young fellas have on in the dressing room that week. 80s stuff.
YouTube Credit: EightiesJukebox
3. He once ordered a pizza in a restaurant… as his starter.
This happened in Crete in 2004, according to a texter. Paulie confirmed that he had a steak for his main course après pizza.
4. He has a “pert bum,” to use Ray D’Arcy’s words.
I get some slagging about the size of my rear end. It’s very small.
5. He’s (nearly) a qualified computer engineer.
I haven’t finished my primary degree yet. I’ve three years of computer engineering done in the University of Limerick.
6. After rugby, he wants to do more study.
At the moment, the plan is I’m going to do an MBA.
7. He’s getting married in France in the summer
We’re getting married near Toulouse.
8. It’s Gary Lineker’s fault that he’s a big Everton fan.
I was five in 1985 and we were as good as anyone back then. We had Gary Lineker, Paul Bracewell and all these guys.
9. He reckons he’ll be fit for selection in time for Munster’s Heineken Cup quarter-final against Harlequins.
I’ll be back and I’ll be available for selection but I think the boys that have been there are doing really well at the moment so I’ll probably have to do a lot of work to do to get them out.
10. He has no plans to retire any time soon, injury-permitting.
I’d love to go to the next World Cup.