A RECENTLY-CONDUCTED survey has revealed that Irish supporters travelling to Poland in the coming weeks are digging deep into their pockets.
Several thousand fans have booked to follow Giovanni Trapattoni’s men to Poznan and Gdansk and, according to the figures given in a study done by Continental Tyres and You Boys in Green, high unemployment rates and the poor health of the economy has not deterred many.
Of the 355 fans surveyed, one-quarter (24%) plan to splash out between €3,000 and €4,000 on travel expenses, accommodation, match tickets, food and drink during June, while the remaining 76% will spend up to €2,000 for the experience.
Unsurprisingly, the vast majority (85%) have chosen to bypass travel agents and instead made their own travel arrangement online. 10% of the overall number have opted to do a ‘Joxer’ and travel by van with a further 3% taking the car across Europe and into Poland.
Sealing tickets for Ireland’s three Group C games with Croatia, Spain and Italy has proven difficult for some 18% of those questioned and, in terms of the length of their stay, 85% have put commitments at home to one side and will stick around for all three group matches at least.