10. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s Nicklas Helenius’ indirect free-kick, due to land back on Planet Earth some time around Spring 2014.
YouTube: football Via Reddit
9. The NBA season gets under way on October 30th. This might just get you in the mood (despite the absence of a Simple Minds soundtrack).
8. City woe.
Quite a strike from Ajax’s Siem de Jong and quite the disappointment for Manchester City, set to tumble out of the Champions League at the group stage for the second year in a row.
7. Free for all
Ever seen 36 red cards handed out in the same match before?
6. New Orleans Saints receiver Joe Morgan catches a Drew Brees pass, then flips cornerback Eric Wright over his shoulder en route to the end zone.
5. Trouble at Anorthosis Famagusta v Omonia Nicosia in Cyprus.
No one was seriously injured, but this incident is part of a rash of soccer violence across the world. Last month, a game in Iran was stopped when a grenade exploded on the field, and last week a match in Africa was abandoned after Senegalese fans rioted.
4. Wallabies forward Scott Higginbotham will miss two Tests after being suspended on Monday for striking All Blacks captain Richie McCaw in last weekend’s Bledisloe Cup Test in Brisbane.
3. Remember that contentious was-it-a-cross-was-it-a-shot goal thatRonaldinho scored in the the 2002 World Cup quarter-final? He’s only gone and done it again. The 32-year-old then broke down after scoring the goal, on account of his step-father having died from a heart attack the previous day.
2. Andy Hazell of Gloucester loses the rag after an eye gouging incident in the match between his Gloucester side and Mont-de-Marsan in France.
The one-time England player received a 14-month ban for his troubles.
1. If a particularly special goal is a “golazo,” does that make this stunning winner from Grigor Dimitrov a “shotlazo”? We need a word that does justice to the Bulgarian’s brilliance.
Up against Victor Troicki in the first round of the Swiss Indoors, Dimitrov played this outrageous behind-the-back half-volley drop-shot which left his Serbian opponent looking on in awe.
Troicki went on to win 6-3, 6-2.
YouTube: tenvids [h/t @Micheal_Nagle]