1. #EURO 2012 All eyes will be on Donetsk tonight as Cristiano Ronaldo does battle with a host of his Real Madrid team-mates when Portugal meet Spain for a place in the Euro 2012 final.
La Roja playmaker Andres Iniesta brushed off criticism of Spain’s style yesterday, explaining that fans and pundits only perceive them to be boring because their opponents are too defensive.
To get you in the mood, here’s tonight’s pre-match preview.
2. #CHAMPIONSHIP 2012 Pat Gilroy named an unchanged Dublin side at a traditionally early press conference in the capital this morning. In search of their seventh Leinster SFC crown in eight years, the Dubs take on Wexford in the provincial semi-finals in Croke Park this Sunday.
3. #IRISH OPEN The good, the bad and the ugly of the celebrity world are headed to Royal Portrush today for the traditional pro-am competition ahead of tomorrow’s Irish Open tee-off.
If you’re heading along to whet the appetite, here are some of the famous faces you can expect to see.
4. #EA SPORTS CUP Sligo Rovers and Shamrock Rovers are through to the final four of the EA Sports Cup following wins last night.
A brace apiece from Raf Cretaro and the in-form Danny North gave Sligo a comfortable 4-0 win at home to holders Derry City while Rovers needed penalties to separate themselves and St Patrick’s Athletic after a 1-1 draw in Richmond Park.
5. #TRACK & FIELD One of the last major steps on the road to London 2012 begins this morning as the 21st European Athletics Championships get underway in Helsinki, Finland.
The first of the 26-strong Irish contingent has already been in action. Amy Foster could only manage to finish seventh in her 100m heat in a time of 11.58.
6. #WIMBLEDON Two-time winner Rafael Nadal and perennial great British hope Andy Murray both got their Wimbledon challenges off to a winning start at SW19 yesterday.
Nadal bounced back from a sluggish start against Brazil’s Thomas Bellucci to win 7-6 6-2 6-3 while Murray silenced Nikolai Davydenko with an easy 6-1 6-1 6-4 win.