1. #EURO 2012 Giovanni Trapattoni insisted yesterday that Ireland are capable of stunning European and World Champions Spain when the two come face-to-face for a must-win game in Gdansk this Thursday.
The Boys in Green continue their preparations today with training in Gdynia this morning. Marco Tardelli will brief the media afterwards including news on Richard Dunne who sat out yesterday’s session with blisters.
2. #EURO 2012 Andriy Shevchenko followed the script to a t last night, sparking national celebrations as Ukraine won their first-ever game at the European Championships.
The former AC Milan and Chelsea striker hit a second-half double to give the tournament co-hosts a 2-1 win against Sweden in Kiev. Earlier in Group D, Roy Hodgson’s England kicked off their tournament with a 1-1 draw against France.
Today we return to Group A for Greece v Czech Republic (5pm) and Poland v Russia (7.45pm). Before then, stick with us for all of the news in our daily liveblog.
3. #US OPEN A 14-year-old boy has been given the opportunity of a lifetime after Paul Casey was forced to withdraw from this weekend’s US Open in San Francisco.
Andy Zhang will become the competition’s youngest player since the Second World War when he tees off for the season’s second major at the Olympic Club on Thursday.
4. #CRICKET Niall O’Brien has been included in the Irish cricket squad to face Australia at Stormont on June 23rd in the the RSA Challenge One Day International.
O’Brien missed Ireland’s success at the T20 qualifiers due to his participation in the Bangladesh Premier League but was named yesterday in Phil Simmons’ 13-man panel.
5. #(THE OTHER) BOYS IN GREEN Ireland coach Mike Ruddock last night named his starting XV for this afternoon’s must-win clash against Italy at the IRB U20 World Championships.
Kick-off in Cape Town is at 1.45pm this afternoon.
6. #RACING The Madden family celebrated a famous win in the Connacht National last night when the JP McManus-owned Ainama — trained by Niall Madden Sr and ridden by his son Niall “Slippers” Madden — led the field home.