Every morning TheScore.ie brings you the stories you need to know before that first cup of coffee.
1. #COMEBACK Chelsea made it two wins from two with a 4-2 victory over Reading at Stamford Bridge last night. The Pensioners went ahead through Frank Lampard’s penalty but the newly-promoted Royals scored twice in quick succession thanks to Pavel Pogrebnyak and Danny Guthire.
In the second half, however, defender Gary Cahill levelled the terms before Fernando Torres completed the comeback with his first Premier League goal of the season.
2. #LEGEND Frankel cemented his place as the world’s best flat racing horse by taking the Juddmonte International Stakes yesterday. Henry Cecil’s star made it 13 straight victory and jockey Tom Queally said: “It panned out nicely — he won ever so well. It’s a fantastic training performance.”
3. #WARY Cork senior footballer Graham Canty says Colm McFadden is the man they need to stop when the Rebels take on Donegal in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final.
The veteran defender said: “McFadden does score a lot, he’s one of the best finishers in the country. If he gets decent ball, he’ll punish you every time.”
4. #GET WELL SOON Former Ireland international Kevin Sheedy has been diagnosed with bowel cancer, it was announced yesterday. The former midfielder, who is now academy coach at Everton, played 46 times for the country and scored Ireland’s first ever goal at a World Cup finals in 1990.
“It’s not ideal but I have to remain positive,” Sheedy said. “There is a history in the family.”
5. #LA LIGA Tonight sees the first El Clasico of the season take place as Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid meet in the Super Cup first leg. Last year, the Catalans won 5-4 on aggregate and it was remembered for Madrid boss Jose Mourinho famously poking then Barca assistant Tito Vilanova in the eye. Kick off is at 9.30pm Irish time.