Every morning TheScore.ie brings you the stories you need to know before you’re first cup of coffee.
1. #GAA Cork named their side for Saturday’s All-Ireland SHC qualifier against Offaly in Páirc Uí Chaoimh last night. Christopher Joyce makes his championship debut at centre back in place of Eoin Cadogan, who will line out with the county’s footballers. In addition, Cian McCarthy comes in for Cathal Naughton at centre forward, with Pa Cronin set to start on the wing. Here’s the full XV.
2. #EXIT STRATEGY Arsenal chiefs last night insisted that they expected club captain to see out the remaining year of his contract at the Emirates Stadium. The talismanic Dutchman stunned the club’s fans yesterday afternoon by issuing a statement expressing his desire to leave.
3. #EUROPE The European club football season gets underway this evening with both Bohs and St Pat’s in action against Icelandic opposition in Europa League qualifiers.
4. #TDF It was a dramatic day on the Tour de France yesterday; with Mark Cavendish caught up in a crash, Andrei Greipel made no mistake and won the sprint finish on the fourth stage into Rouen. Alessandro Petacchi was in second with Tom Veelers in third. There’s no change in the yellow jersey standing where Fabian Cancellara still leads by seven seconds from Bradley Wiggins and Sylvain Chavanel. It was another solid day for Nicolas Roche and Dan Martin, both of whom finished in the main bunch, 55th and 72nd respectively. Roche remains 21st in the GC standings while Martin is down the field in 87th following yesterday’s crash.
5. #TENNIS It’s ladies semi-final day at the All-England club. Serena Williams takes on Victoria Azarenka while in the other showdown it’s Agnieszka Radwanska v Anquelique Kerber. In the men’s competition, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic set up a mouth-watering semi-final to be played tomorrow while the second last-four tie on Friday will be between home favourite Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfred Tsonga.
6. #COPA Brazilian outfit Corinthaians defeated Boca Juniors 2-0 in the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final last night to win the continental club competition for the first time.
7. #RANGERS There was more bad news for Rangers fans yesterday as the country’s top clubs voted against the Scottish giants rejoining the SPL. The soon-to-be-liquidated Ibrox club had applied to rejoin the league after reforming as a new company (newco) but their request was turned down following a vote of the other clubs which make up the Scottish top-flight.