Every morning TheScore.ie rounds up the stories you need to know before your first cup of coffee.
1. #EURO 2012 Paul McShane joined up with the Irish squad in Dublin last night, having been called up by manager Giovanni Trapattoni. The decision came on the back of a spate of injury concerns ahead of Saturday’s friendly with Bosnia in Dublin. Shay Given meanwhile will travel to London today to see a knee specialist. The FAI insist the Villa goalkeeper is not an injury worry for the tournament.
2. #GAA John Allen last night named his side to face Tipperary in the Munster SHC quarter-final this weekend, with youngster Shane Dowling getting the nod at No 12.
3. #RETIREMENT Munster yesterday lost yet another player to retirement. Darragh Hurley, 26, has been forced to call time on his short career after a back problem sustained during training in October failed to clear. The Cork Con man has not featured for the province this season.
4. #BANNED The English FA yesterday slapped Joey Barton with a staggering 12-game ban for his behaviour during QPR’s game at Manchester City on the last day of the season. His career at Loftus Road is now in the balance. Do you think he deserved the ban?
5. #LONDON2012 There was more Olympic qualification success for Ireland yesterday, as Latvian-born rower Sanita Puspure secured her place on the plane to London in the Women’s Single Scull. Earlier, 17-year-old Sycerika McMahon, who secured her qualification for London 2012 on Tuesday, finished fifth in the 100m breast stroke final at the European Swimming Championships.
6. #YOUTUBE If it’s Thursday — and they tell me it is — it must be time to round up the week’s best virals. Surely this will get a shout? Send us your suggestions…
YouTube credit: Diablo Snipe