EVERY WEEKDAY MORNING, TheScore.ie brings you the stories you need to know before 9am.
1. #HEINEKEN CUP Well after a superb weekend for rugby here, we’re still on track for an all-Irish European Cup final.
Munster will host Ulster at Thomond Park in a mouth-watering quarter-final while Leinster welcome Cardiff Blues to Dublin.
2. #PREMIER LEAGUE Harry Redknapp insists Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli should not have been on the pitch to seal a dramatic victory for the home side at Eastlands, with a last-minute penalty.
City won 3-2 in a massive clash at the top of the table thanks to that late, late spot kick after Ledley King brought down the Italian. But Balottelli may face action because of a kick on Scott Parker’s head. This is how it went down.
Later yesterday, Manchester United kept the pressure on their cross-town rivals with a 2-1 win over Arsenal in London. Arsene Wenger was booed as he replaced the impressive Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain with Adey Arshavin; the Russian was then at fault for Danny Welbeck’s winner.
3. #GAA It was first blood to Kildare yesterday they edged out Dublin in the O’Byrne Cup semi-final in Newbridge. Check out a full round-up of the GAA action here.
4. #AUSTRALIAN OPEN Serena Williams’ winning run at the Australian Open came to a rude halt earlier today. The American has been beaten in the fourth-round by Ekaterina Makarova in straight sets.
5. #POT RED Neil Robertson won snooker’s UK Masters at the Ally Pally last night. The Australian maintained his perfect record of seven wins from seven finals in major tournaments by defeating Shaun Murphy 10-6.
6. #NFL It will be the New England Patriots versus the New York Giants at next month’s Super Bowls. Tom v Eli.
The Patriots edged out the Baltimore Ravens 23-20 at the Gilette Stadium while the Gitnas went to the west coast and five plays after the 49ers’ Kyle Williams fumbled a punt, Lawrence Tynes kicked a 31-yard field goal in overtime, sealing a 20-17 victory.