10. It’s been a long old week without the Olympic Games filling up the exact amount of time we don’t spend sleeping. Too long.
Among the wondrous sporting feats we’re missing like crazy are the bombastic proclamations of a certain basketball commentator from Cork.
This clip unfortunately does not feature his trademark ‘downtown’ but to Timmy McCarthy, thank you. We hope to hear you again before 2016.
YouTube credit: Jaffainchains
9. Last night brought the dawn of a new era; Ireland without Séamus John James Given. He’ll be missed.
YouTube credit: kingyboy2006
8. All over the sporting world teams who do their thing through the depths of winter are currently rebuilding their fitness levels after a summer of debauchery. And few groups of men are more debauched than the English rugby team, so here’s how they get rid of that summer plumpness.
YouTube credit: officialRFUTV
7. What makes a big game a big game? Is it the points at stake, the trophy? Pride? Getting one over on those nasty neighbours of yours? No, none of that. Everybody knows that only the presence of a full Sky TV crew make a game worth watching. The broadcaster’s German wing were so impatient about beginning a new Bundesliga season they took their gear down to the district league where SV Lohhof and SSV Dillingen were having a right old tussle.
YouTube credit: Skyde
6. Everyone gets angry at referees from time to time. That’s practically what they’re there for, but Benfica’s Luisao went way, way over the top in a friendly last weekend.
YouTube credit: schrodriguez
5. A perfect pitching game doesn’t come along often in baseball. In fact last night’s shut-out from Felix Hernandez was only the 23rd in the history of the game and the first ever by a Seattle Mariners player. Here’s the highlights from Sportscentre
YouTube credit: Sportsneverdie
4. We’ve all been there. You’re in the stands and see the ball lasted towards the corner. The net ripples… GOALLL!
But then you realise that nobody on the pitch is celebrating, ‘Damn you, side-netting’
Well that’s what happened to the Dutch football fans, except that they continued jumping and hugging eachother when all around had already come to terms with the disappointment.
YouTube credit: WhySoSeriousX92
3. And speaking of football. The Premier League will be back on our screens in just over 48 hours time. Here’s the best of last year’s golazos (skip right on through to the 35 second mark to start the countdown).
YouTube credit: lorma96
2. Of course, there’s more than just English football coming back on our screens on Saturday, there’s top-class international rugby too. The inaugural Rugby Championship picks up where it left off, with defending champions Australia hosting the reigning world champions New Zealand.
As a quick refresher on how the Wallabies took the final Tri-Nations, here’s the highlights.
1. A whole week has gone by since this happened.
YouTube credit: shaymcn3