NEED TO CATCH up? TheScore.ie brings you a round-up of today’s sports news…
- Belgium lived up to their pre-World Cup hype (for the final 20 minutes) in the Group H win over Algeria.
- As expected, Fabio Coentrao is out of the tournament after sustaining an injury against Germany.
- There are other tid-bits of injury news knocking about too: Hulk is out for Brazil, while Germany have concerns over Hummels and Boateng.
- The USA went stone mad about soccer last night. Joe Biden crashed the dressing room party and this wrap of the nationwide reaction is priceless.
Source: Cathal Noonan/INPHO
- Royal Portrush faces a multi-million pound development before it will be fit to host The Open.
- Ireland Under 20, Garry Ringrose was short-listed for the player of the tournament award at the Junior World Championship.
- Robbie Horgan has been ‘mutually consented’ by Drogheda United.
- Aaron Cruden won’t be playing in Europe any time soon. The All Black number 10 has agreed to stay in NZ until 2017.
- Justin Gatlin ran a 9.86 second 100 metres. The American is the fastest man in 2014.
- Michaella Krajicek found herself in the spotlight even after winning he r Wimbledon warm-up match in three sets.
The Best thing we shared
Where we were today
Our man in Brazil, Mikey Stafford, is living the life. Here’s the scene as he made his way to the Mexico v Brazil game.
The fixture list
Tonight’s late game is Russia v South Korea. And tomorrow we’ll be treated to Australia v Netherlands (5pm), Spain v Chile (8pm) and Cameroon v Croatia (11pm).
Dries Mertens finished off a glorious counter-attack for Belgium.
“We’re not on air, are we?”