The Score uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 12 °C Sunday 31 August, 2014

Sean O’Brien says he would have to consider French offers

The Ireland and Lions back row admits that the Top 14 is attractive to Irish players.

There are growing fears that O'Brien will be playing in the Top 14 next year.
There are growing fears that O'Brien will be playing in the Top 14 next year.
Image: ©INPHO/James Crombie

Updated 12.47

LEINSTER’S SEAN O’BRIEN has fueled speculation over a possible move to the Top 14 next season by suggesting that he would be open to the idea of playing in France.

The powerful back row says he wants to stay with his home province, but admits that it would be foolish to ignore potential offers from foreign shores.

O’Brien has already been linked with Clermont and Racing Metro, where he would play alongside Ireland teammate Jonny Sexton. Both clubs have the financial clout to at least interest the Tullow native and speaking to Newstalk from the National Ploughing Championships, O’Brien said:

“It is something that I would have to consider. At the minute, I am playing for Leinster and Ireland and I love playing for both sides. That’s where I want to be. I have to take into consideration my best interests. I have to look after me. There is a bit of a grey area there.”

Earlier this week Sexton called for the IRFU to ensure that O’Brien and fellow Lion Jamie Heaslip are tied down to long-term contracts as soon as possible. The Ireland outhalf says he doesn’t want to see more of his former teammates leaving Leinster.

– Originally posted 11.42

Referee Alain Rolland to retire at the end of the season

‘I’ve been impressed with the standard’: Ireland forwards coach John Plumtree

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (8 Comments)

Add New Comment