UNLESS YOU’VE BEEN glued to the internet all weekend, there’s a chance that some weird and wonderful sporting tidbits might have slipped through the cracks. Here’s a run-down of some of our favourites…
1. #GOLAZO Ajax moved to within one point of AZ Alkmaar in the Eredivisie on Sunday night after a 2-0 win over rivals PSV Eindhoven at the Amsterdam Arena.
More importantly, midfielder Ismail Aissati scored what is up there alongside Crouchie’s as the goal of the weekend. The 23-year-old received the ball near the corner flag after Christian Eriksen had played it short, then whipped it beyond the waiting crowd and into the far corner.
2. #FROM DOWNTOWN Dwayne Wade of Miami Heat doesn’t come up with three-pointers very often but this one on Sunday night is worth a couple of replays. With the third quarter about to end and his team trailing 66-80, Wade pulled out a buzzer beater from 65 feet.
YouTube credit: NBA
3. #LACROSSE We won’t pretend to bluff our way through the ins and outs of the sport but from what we hear, this is the equivalent of Messi running half the pitch and backheeling the ball past the keeper. It comes courtesy John Grant Jr of the Colorado Mammoths.
YouTube credit: ChrisRosie22
(h/t: James Dart)
4. #NASTY This clip is certainly not for the squeamish. Brisbane winger Yow Yeh suffers an horrific compound fracture and dislocation meaning he will need a couple of operations to repair the damage. You can see the bone pierce through the 22-year-old’s sock as he takes a heavy fall. Thankfully, it is not believed to be career-threatening.
5. #TUMBLE Diego Maradona hasn’t lost his appetite for the game going by this reaction to a missed chance by his Al-Wasl side.
YouTube credit: ParnassewebTv