FABIO CAPELLO HAS confirmed that he does not wish to be considered for the vacant role of head coach at Champions League holders Chelsea.
The Italian delivered a succinct message on the pitch at the Allianz Arena on Saturday night as he did television work before Saturday’s final.
Capello was installed as the early favourite for the job, held previously by Andre Villas-Boas, but interim coach Roberto di Matteo is now in prime position.
Speaking on Saturday evening, Capello declared, “I will not go to Chelsea.”
Capello, who stepped down from the England manager role in February, added in a later interview, “There has been no contact between me and Chelsea.”
The 65-year-old was seen chatting amiably with suspended Chelsea skipper John Terry on the pitch in Munich before the English side’s cup win on penalties.
The other frontrunner, in the eyes of many bookies and pundits, was Pep Guardiola but the former Barcelona coach has made it clear that he will take at least a year away from the game.
Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck told Sky Sports News on Sunday that the club’s board had not discussed potential managers since before the Champions League semi-final first leg back in April. He added:
(It is) something we have to pick up on Monday but there’s no doubt we recognise the great contribution Robbie has made to the club, not just in bringing home two trophies but really in turning around the confidence of these players.
One player who has endeared himself to di Matteo without yet playing a game for him is new Chelsea signing Marko Marin.
The attacking midfielder, signed from Werder Bremen for next season, said, “I hope the coach will stay because he is a great coach. I have met him a couple of times and we held positive discussions.”