1. March 3rd: Allianz Football League Division 1 – Ross Munnelly (Laois) v Dublin
Was he going for a point? Ross Munnelly deftly chips the ball over Dublin goalkeeper Michael Savage. (skip to 5.42)
2. March 3rd: Allianz Football League Division 1 – Eoghan O’Gara (Dublin) v Laois
The finish is fierce and emphatic from Eoghan O’Gara but the creation is also noteworthy as Diarmuid Connolly flicks the ball up and punches a defence-splitting pass under pressure. (skip to 6.21)
3. April 15th: Allianz FL Division 1 semi-final – Colm Boyle (Mayo) v Kerry
With the pressure he is under and the amount of Kerry defenders engulfing him, Boyle really should have had nowhere to go. But he managed to display the agility to fashion a shot that saw him sweep the ball into the far corner.
http://youtu.be/di9gjzp4yRk?t=43s (skip to 0.43)
4. April 15th: Allianz FL Division 1 semi-final – Colm O’Neill (Cork) v Down
Patrick Kelly pops the ball up for the inrushing O’Neill who switches direction and brilliantly rolls the ball into the far bottom corner of the net.
5. May 20th: Leinster SFC first round – Ronan Carroll (Louth) v Westmeath
Carroll scythes through the Westmeath rearguard, twists and turns past defenders before unleashing a stinging drive to the net. (skip to 0.33)
6. May 20th: Connacht SFC quarter-final – Paul Conroy (Galway) v Roscommon
A route one ploy from Galway yields a rich dividend as Conroy proves the perfect target man by fetching the ball and lashing home a goal.
7. May 27th: Ulster SFC quarter-final – James Lavery (Antrim) v Monaghan
A wonderful effort by Lavery as he cuts through the Monaghan defence and finishes in style to raise a green flag for the Saffron county.
8. July 1st: Leinster SFC semi-final – Redmond Barry (Wexford) v Dublin
A splendid finish here by Redmond Barry as he evades the Dublin defence and slots the ball past Stephen Cluxton. But the beauty lies in Ciaran Lyng’s cross field ball as he arcs it in the direction of Barry to engineer the opportunity.
9. July 1st: All-Ireland SFC qualifier round one – Jamie Clarke (Armagh) v Roscommon
Clarke notched plenty goals for club and county this year. This effort is a trademark score from the Crossmaglen Rangers man, wriggling clear of defensive tackles before banging the ball to the back of the net.
10. July 8th: Munster SFC final – Aidan Walsh (Cork) v Clare
An amalgam of power, pace and control here as Aidan Walsh bombs forward from midfield to rip apart the Clare defence before finishing low to the net off his left foot. (skip to 0.46)
11. July 15th: All-Ireland SFC qualifier round two – Mikey Conway (Kildare) v Cavan
The best team goal of the year as slick kick-passing at speed, starting with goalkeeper Shane Connolly, sees Kildare move fluently up the pitch and the move culminates with Mikey Conway raising the green flag. (skip to 1.36)
12. July 22nd: Ulster SFC final – Frank McGlynn (Donegal) v Down
A score that is a reflection of the inter-changing ability of Donegal’s players. Attacking talisman Michael Murphy does the grunt work to create the chance and it is corner-back Frank McGlynn who bounds clear before finishing with aplomb.
13. July 22nd: Leinster SFC final – Denis Bastick (Dublin) v Meath
A fine effort by Bastick as he is released into space by Paul Flynn and finishes wonderfully across David Gallagher to see the ball nestling in the far corner of the net. (skip to 0.58)
14. July 28th: All-Ireland SFC round four qualifier – Kevin Conlon (Leitrim) v Laois)
An excellent solo effort by Kevin Conlon who spies a gap in the Laois defence, surges clear and then has the composure to place the ball beyond Eoin Culliton.
15. July 28th: All-Ireland SFC qualifier round four – James O’Donoghue (Kerry) v Clare
Another excellent team effort here as Paul Galvin and Colm Cooper do what they do best in being central to the build-up and it is O’Donoghue, an attacking talent who emerged strongly this year, who shoots home confidently with his ostensibly weaker right foot.
YouTube: JC O’Shea
16. August 26th: All-Ireland SFC semi-final – Colm O’Neill (Cork) v Donegal
The game was in garbage time but Cork still conjured up an outstanding goal. Ciaran Sheehan smashes in a ball with the outside of his boot from the 65 yard line to O’Neill, who has squirmed free to gather the ball and immediately plants his shot past the advancing Paul Durcan.
17. September 2nd: All-Ireland MFC semi-final – Cormac Costello (Dublin) v Kerry
A magnificent individual effort from Costello who shows determination and a clinical edge to charge through the Kerry defence and finish stylishly. One to watch in the years to come. (skip to 0.45)
18. September 23rd: All-Ireland SHC final – Michael Murphy (Donegal) v Mayo
All year Michael Murphy sacrificed himself for the greater good of the Donegal team. But on the biggest day he went back to filling an attack role and struck a scorching drive to the net for the first score of the game after fielding a long delivery from Karl Lacey.
19. October 28th: Kerry SFC final – Brian Looney (Dr Crokes) v Dingle
The club championship provided hugely attractive football this year and this was a sublime goal from Looney in the Kerry county final. He initiated the move, which also featured Chris Brady and Colm Cooper, and was then on hand to round it off with a sublime finish. (skip to 0.51)
YouTube: JC O’Shea
20. November 4th: Donegal SFC final – Lee McMonagle (St Eunan’s) v Naomh Conaill
In the depths of winter, the Donegal final is played out in difficult weather conditions and is a low-scoring, turgid affair. But the game is illuminated by the key score in the 53rd minute when Rory Kavanagh launches the ball in and when it comes to Lee McMonagle, he expertly finishes to the net. (skip to 6.53)
*What did we forget? Let us know what you thought the goals of the year were in the comments section below.*