The full DVD won’t hit your shops until October 28, but Sky Sports tonight gave us just under an hour’s worth of footage from their fly-on-the-wall documentary following the Lions on their successful tour to Australia, Lions Raw.
It got the blood stirring, whetted the appetite… all that good stuff. Here are some of the bits that grabbed our attention.
1. Simon Zebo would have made the initial squad, but Gatty didn’t want him
In the selection meeting, Rob Howley was clearly impressed by the way the Munster wing tore Wales apart in the Six Nations.
Gatland stuck by his fellow Kiwi Sean Maitland and, with his arms folded, issued a withering response of: ”We’ve got to go over there and play rugby.”
Nice England background on that laptop too.
2. There are two Sam Warburtons
There’s the Warburton we see in an official capacity as Wales and Lions captain
Tea and protein bars – mad.
But once with his team, he’s an incredible motivator
“‘Do you think you’ll win the test series’ is a bullshit question!”
If only he’d be so forthright with the press.
3. Alun Wyn Jones can really talk the talk as well
It’s easy to see why Wales thrive on the international scene these days.
4. “Destroy and enjoy”
Andy Farrell issues the creed every defence can live their lives by.
5. At Carton House, Owen Farrell’s boot decided when training finished
The out-half was tasked with kicking a 40-metre penalty to ‘win’, or doing more fitness. He converted to the delight of his team-mates.
Paul O’Connell later had some telling words of praise for Farrell’s leadership qualities.
6. As ever, if you want Brian O’Driscoll at his most candid, get him after the final whistle
After sneaking the first Test, he told Howley; “In fairness, they got fucking butchered with three big injuries.”
7. Paul O’Connell was equally unwilling to paper over cracks
The documentary features a scene where O’Connell is owning up to a defensive error.
Here’s a clip of him on one rare occasion when he had a shirt on… and it’s not even his own.
8. Graham Rowntree’s message: “Go into their house and smash it up!”
And they’ve still only just scratched the surface.