LAOIS MAY HAVE to regrade to the Christy Ring Cup for 2013 after it has emerged that GAA national officials have written to the Midlands county’s board officials about the proposed move.
Laois, who are still seeking a senior hurling manager following the departure of Teddy McCarthy after a season in charge, endured a miserable run in 2012 as they were relegated from Division 1B of the league before suffering heavy championship losses against Dublin and Limerick.
Chairman Brian Allen told The Leinster Express that no decision has yet been made on the county’s participation for 2013.
“We haven’t gotten as far as that yet, we’ll wait for the report to come in and see what we’re going to do then, going forward.”
He also revealed that only eight senior players attended a recent meeting chaired by minor hurling manager Seamus Plunket and former Laois hurler Paul Cuddy to review the 2012 season and plan for next year.
“It was disappointing (to have eight players show up) but maybe we should have went with things the other way from the start,” said Allen. “There was a lot of players away in college and some other players had been involved in the county semi-finals the day before, so in hindsight, Monday was not a great night to have it.”
Laois did make some progress at underage level this year as they contested the Leinster U21 hurling final before succumbing to Kilkenny.
AUDIO: Harry Potter and the All-Ireland winners … here’s what happened with Daniel Radcliffe in Dublin on Sunday night