Advertisement
Terry during Euro 2012. Anthony Devlin/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Terry retires from international football, calls position 'untenable'

The former Three Lions captain made the announcement on the eve of his FA disciplinary hearing over racism charges.

FORMER ENGLAND CAPTAIN John Terry dramatically quit international football on Sunday, fewer than 24 hours before a Football Association hearing into allegations he racially abused Queens Park Rangers’ Anton Ferdinand.

Chelsea skipper Terry, 31, said the FA had made his position “untenable” after he had already been cleared of criminal charges emanating from the controversy which rocked the game last October.

“I am today announcing my retirement from international football,” Terry said in a statement.

“I would like to thank the England managers who have selected me for my 78 caps. I have had great pleasure in sharing that honour with all the players that I’ve played with.

“I would like to thank them, the fans and my family for their support and encouragement during my international career.

“Representing and captaining my country is what I dreamed of as a boy and it has been a truly great honour. I have always given my all and it breaks my heart to make this decision,” added Terry who made his England debut in 2003.

“I want to wish Roy (Hodgson, the England manager) and the team every success for the future.

I am making this statement today in advance of the hearing of the FA disciplinary charge because I feel the FA, in pursuing charges against me where I have already been cleared in a court of law, have made my position with the national team untenable.

“I now look forward to playing for Chelsea FC, and challenging for domestic and European honours, and I want to thank the fans and the club for their continued support.”

Central defender Terry has always denied using a racist slur against Ferdinand during a Premier League match last October and was cleared of criminal charges relating to the incident by a London court in July.

The criminal action had to prove Terry’s guilt beyond reasonable doubt but the judge ruled the prosection had not proved their case to that standard.

An FA panel will consider the claims resulting from the match but has a lower burden of proof based on the balance of probabilities.

Terry was stripped of the England captaincy as a result of the allegations and there was further controversy when he was included in Hodgson’s squad for this year’s European Championships while long-term England central defensive colleague Rio Ferdinand, Anton’s older brother, was left out.

-AFP 2012

Sports film of the week: Gregory’s Girl

Column: The full story of the Hillsborough disaster is still to come

Close
12 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Mark Noonan
    Favourite Mark Noonan
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 9:13 PM

    Won’t be missed

    34
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute John Deane
    Favourite John Deane
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 9:18 PM

    Good Riddance!!!!

    30
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Kevin Collins
    Favourite Kevin Collins
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 9:34 PM

    Dispicable person good riddance.

    18
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Themanwithnoplan2012
    Favourite Themanwithnoplan2012
    Report
    Sep 24th 2012, 12:24 AM

    according to twitter he is quitting england to focus on his club career and spend more time with your wife

    16
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Paul K
    Favourite Paul K
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 9:30 PM

    Good

    14
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Thomas
    Favourite Thomas
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 9:59 PM

    No room for racist or unfaithful people in any team

    13
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute BandaraBoy
    Favourite BandaraBoy
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 10:30 PM

    No room for unfaithful players?

    Lol, why not? He’s a footballer who’s paid to play football, if he sleeps with ten women a week it’s his business.

    It’s no different to a fireman, a office worker etc

    Just because the papers publish stories to sell more papers it’s no reason for him to be dropped

    23
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute jonathan kerr
    Favourite jonathan kerr
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 11:13 PM

    good player.. im with him on this one.. he gets cleared of the abuse n the fa wanna charge him 4 it.. once the law have seen no wrong no1 else should get involved.. we can all have our opinion on him n being a racest r not . as 4 sleepin around with oda women n not getten caught 4 ages. good on u jt..

    11
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Kevin Maughan
    Favourite Kevin Maughan
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 11:50 PM

    Bugger as I was looking forward to giving him a bit of abuse at Wembley come May! Hahaha

    8
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute ENDA KERR
    Favourite ENDA KERR
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 11:39 PM

    spin doctors advise- blame fa now, receive ban, blame ban on criticism of fa. racism slur put to bed..

    5
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Barry Aston
    Favourite Barry Aston
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 9:39 PM

    ahhhhh he is a victim…………..really……..no………honest……..

    5
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute ENDA KERR
    Favourite ENDA KERR
    Report
    Sep 23rd 2012, 11:35 PM

    good player but zero tolerance rule means he will receive ban, sp

    3
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.