The Score uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 17 °C Thursday 28 August, 2014

Cesare Prandelli resigns, ‘taking responsibility’ for Italy’s early World Cup exit

Italian federation president Giancarlo Abete has also stood down after the Azzurri only managed to beat England in Brazil.

Image: Antonio Calanni

ITALY COACH CESARE Prandelli and federation president Giancarlo Abete left Italian football rudderless as both announced their resignations after the Azzurri failed to qualify for the last 16 of the World Cup.

Despite Abete claiming he would try to convince Prandelli not to quit his post, the 56-year-old boss was unequivocal.

“I will not go back on my decision,” said Prandelli.

Italy crashed out after a 1-0 defeat to Uruguay which left them third in Group D ahead only of pointless England.

Abete said his decision had been made prior to the tournament, which saw Italy fail to reach the second round for the second successive edition.

“I’d already taken this decision prior to the World Cup,” said Abete.

“I think we need time to reflect.”

The Azzurri were left with 10 men after midfielder Claudio Marchisio saw red in the second half for a studs-up challenge.

The end of the game was also marred by claims that Uruguay striker Luiz Suarez sank his teeth into the shoulder of defender Giorgio Chiellini.

Prandelli said: “I did not see the incident. I did see the bite marks on Chiellini’s shoulder.”

The 56-year-old Prandelli, however, was more vociferous about Marchisio’s sending off, which he claimed changed their whole tournament.

“You have to accept defeats, but when they are decided by wrong decisions it is hard to accept,” he added.

Spiral

“There was no need to show a red card. It caused a downward spiral that changed the match and led to us being eliminated from the World Cup.”

Had Italy avoided defeat, Prandelli would probably not have resigned, he indicated.

Asked about the relatively poor performance of striker Mario Balotelli — who was substitiuted at half-time — Prandelli added: “Balotelli – that’s a technical issue. I chose him, I chose a certain technical plan and it did not work.

“I take all responsibility for our failure, which, among other things, is down to our limitations in quality.

“It’s useless for me to sit here and say I could have done it differently

“This is why I’m resigning.”

- © AFP, 2014

Winless England bow out of World Cup with a whimper

Here’s Giorgio Chiellini’s shoulder after his ‘run-in’ with Luis Suarez

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (7 Comments)

Add New Comment