IRELAND MANAGER GIOVANNI Trapattoni says he believes Robbie Keane and Richard Dunne will commit to Ireland for the upcoming World Cup qualifying campaign.
With Damien Duff today following Shay Given as the latest player to call time on his international career, there has been uncertainty about the future plans of the experienced pair.
Both were left out of last week’s friendly with Serbia but, at his press conference this afternoon, the Italian boss revealed that they are likely to don the green jersey again.
Keane scored for LA Galaxy in their CONCACAF Champions League win over El Salvador’s Isidro Metapan yesterday and when asked if the country’s all-time record goalscorer would be continue his involvement with the international set-up, Trapattoni said:
“For the whole campaign? I don’t know. Everyday we have injuries but he said ‘I wish to be here again’. I think without injury, Robbie will be here for the campaign. Sure.
“Robbie said to us: ‘For my country, I will always be ready’.
33-year-old Dunne is Ireland’s most experienced defender and would be a huge loss to the squad ahead of meetings with Germany and Sweden.
The Aston Villa player won’t feature against Kazakhstan on September 9 as he is currently sidelined with a groin injury but Trapattoni and assistant Marco Tardelli plan to travel to England tomorrow for discussions on the player’s future.
“He has a little injury now and Kazakhstan is too soon but maybe for Germany,” Trapattoni said.
“Tomorrow we will be in Birmingham to see the game between Everton and Aston Villa and we have asked him for a meeting because we can also speak together.
“We will have more information about his injury and his ideas. I am confident about him.”