The Score uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 16 °C Tuesday 29 July, 2014

Alex Ferguson bans 2 newspapers from press conference, says Wayne Rooney staying with United

“There is no issue between myself and Wayne Rooney. To suggest we don’t talk is nonsense.

Image: Manchester united/Getty

ALEX FERGUSON IS this morning meeting the press for the first time since Tuesday night’s Champions League exit to Real Madrid.

In the wake of that controversial defeat, the Manchester United manager refused to face the press, and since then the newspapers have been full of talk of Wayne Rooney’s apparently imminent exit.

But this morning, in his routine Friday morning conference, Ferguson insists the England striker will be at Old Trafford next season.

Fergie has also banned two newspapers and they won’t be readmitted until ‘they apologise’ according to Dan Roan of the BBC.

“He will be here next year, you have my word on that,” Fergie said of Rooney, who was dropped for the match on Tuesday. “There is no issue between myself and Wayne Rooney. To suggest we don’t talk is nonsense.

“He understood the reasons completely. Tactically we got it right. We don’t always but we did then. There are no issues with the player and he will be involved on Sunday. I left out Shinji Kagawa after he scored a hat-trick. I thought I would get more stick for that.”

Ferguson is still bitter about the circumstances of Tuesday’s defeat, in particular the dismissal of Nani, on which the entire contest turned.

“It is hard to keep your faith when you have things like that,” said Ferguson.

More to follow

Which of you weirdos is going to buy Ronaldo’s wrecked car on Ebay?

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (121 Comments)

Add New Comment