NEED TO CATCH up? TheScore.ie brings you a round-up of today’s sports news…
- BOD joined OTB. A media career beckons in life after rugby for the ex-Ireland legend.
- Quite a news day for Roy Maurice Keane, even by his standards. First he was linked with an assistant role at Aston Villa and then it was confirmed that he’s pulled out of ITV’s World Cup coverage.
- Tony Kelly is the star name in the Clare U21 hurling team that plays tomorrow night but Shane O’Donnell will miss through injury. On the Limerick side, senior scoring hero Shane Dowling is the captain.
- Sad news as Stephen Ferris was forced to call it a day on the rugby fields due to injury.
- And Connacht’s Craig Clarke also retired after repeated concussions.
- Tyrone’s Conor Clarke became the latest big name GAA player to be struck down with the cruciate curse.
- Bad news for Colombia, they won’t have Falcao in Brazil but good news for France, they’ll have Ribery.
- Is Fabregas going to replace Frankie at Stamford Bridge?
- Back as skipper – Victor Matfield is going to captain the Springboks again.
- NFL great Dan Marino isn’t happy with the sport he graced. He’s filed a lawsuit against the league.
- Off the court, Maria Sharapova was compared to a teabag by Andy Murray’s mother. On the court, she reached the semi-final of the French Open.
The best thing we shared
Roy left a hotel. There were Sky Sports cameras outside. It didn’t end well.
On the record
“I have had a great career, met many wonderful people and I hang up the boots with no regrets.”
Stephen Ferris brings his rugby career to a halt.
Where we were today
Source: Morgan Treacy/INPHO
The fixture list
Here’s what’s coming up tomorrow:
- Bord Gáis Energy U21 hurling championship
Munster quarter-final: Limerick v Clare, Gaelic Grounds, 7.30pm.
Leinster quarter-finals: Kilkenny v Wexford, Nowlan Park, 7.30pm; Westmeath v Carlow, Mullingar, 7.30pm.
- International Soccer Friendlies
Netherlands v Wales, Amsterdam, 6.30pm.
Italy v Luxembourg, Verona, 6.45pm.
Ecuador v England, Miami, 7pm.
Argentina v Trinidad/Tobago, Buenos Aires, 10.30pm.
The Carlow Junior B football league got a serious touch of glamour last night when Sean O’Brien lined out for Fighting Cocks against Fenagh.
Source: @FightingCocksIE via Twitter
“Give me your passport there for the fridge”