ASTON VILLA HAVE moved to clear the air following a dispute with the Football Association of Ireland over an injury picked up by Richard Dunne.
In a brief statement issued on Monday, the Premier League club said that comments made last month were not meant to call the Irish medics’ treatment of Dunne at Euro 2012 into question.
The centre-half underwent a groin operation at the beginning of August and was ruled out of action for six to eight weeks, including Ireland’s opening World Cup qualifier against Kazakhstan on Friday.
The injury was “sustained and was not dealt with during the European Championships,” Villa said, a suggestion which was immediately rubbished by the FAI.
Today’s statement read: “In a press release dated August 1, 2012 Aston Villa Football Club made a number of assertions and comments about the medical treatment received by Richard Dunne during his service with the Ireland team during the European Championships.
“We wish to acknowledge that Richard Dunne received the highest standard of medical care before and during the Championships and apologise to those involved in providing his treatment if any other impression was erroneously given.”